Let’s take a look at the list of top 10 Self-Published authors.
1. E.L. James – Erika Leonard wrote the most commercially successful fan fiction of all time. She was inspired by Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight series. We all are aware of the Fifty Shades of Grey triology, which was initially criticized for its sexual content. The reality is that these books are, at their core, love stories with which people could connect at multiple levels.
“The Fifty Shades phenomenon has shown the entire industry that huge amounts of readers just want a really good story and they are not that fussed about how it is presented to them”, said Scott Pack, a former head buyer for Waterstones and publisher for Harper Collins, who now runs the Aardvark Bureau imprint.
2. Virginia Woolf – Virginia Woolf was an English author, and is considered to be one of the foremost vital feminine writers in the history of the Literature. She married the author Leonard Woolf in 1912, and they both worked together in 1917, beginning the Hogarth Press which, afterward, printed Virginia’s novels along with works by T.S. Eliot and Laurens van der Post. Many of Woolf’s essays, short stories, and novels that are currently held in such high esteem were printed through this press.
3. Edgar Allan Poe – Edgar Allan Poe is revered as the father of the modern detective story. His first book, a 40-page collection of poetry, “Tamerlane and Other Poems”, was published in 1827 when he was just 18 years old. His contribution to the genre of science fiction and horror won him great recognition and appreciation during his lifetime and after his death. To bring a change in the magazine industry, Poe proposed to start his journal by the name of “The Stylus”, a dream he was never able to live.
4. Devika Das – An award-winning poet and author, Devika Das has five publications under her name. What began as a hobby at the age of 13, developed into blogging in 2008, and took the shape of publishing in 2016 when Devika self-published her first book titled 7 Vows of Marriage on Amazon Kindle. Her poetry book titled, Reminiscence has received critical acclaim, and her poems have been published in national dailies and featured in anthologies too.
5. D.H. Lawrence – David Herbert Lawrence is known as one of the most prominent authors of the 20th century. He published many novels and poems including Sons and Lovers, Women in Love, and the controversial Lady Chatterley’s Lover. To quote him, “For man, the vast marvel is to be alive. For man, as for flower and beast and bird, the supreme triumph is to be most vividly, most perfectly alive.”
Even though he is acclaimed for depicting sexuality in his work, he was interested in a variety of subjects from Psychology to Religion.
Learn difference between Self-Publishing & Traditional Publishing?